That quote from Muhammad Ali always comes to mind when I think of the hubs and the family machine shop.
He's not one to brag...but I will certainly "back it up"
I will tell you that there is no one and I mean no one that works harder than each one of our crew at Mosley Manufacturing.
Especially my father-in-law and the hubs.
Our home was robbed recently and the hubs and I said the usual "Well CRAP!" and then said it was just "stuff" that was taken and thankful we weren't home when they broke down our doors.
For if we were, we would be in jail for the torture of those home invaders. (I would have them scrubbing my toilets and floors..with their tongues.. at gunpoint)
After all the anxiety subsided, I couldn't help but think.."If the thieves only knew how hard the hubs worked for that old stuff..."
I know there are those who work out in the heat of the summer.
But when I say that our crew works in the heat, I mean real heat.
If you are not familiar with tow boats, then you will not know where the engine is located...way down in the bowels of that boat.
When it is 90 to 100 degrees outside, it is double that temp down inside a tow boat with welding torches firing up, grinders sending sparks all around and just the heat of the engine is enough to run you out of there. It literally feels like you are inside an oven.
I honestly don't know how the hubs survives sometimes.
But he does, and so does the rest of our crew. They all work ten to twelve hour days and then some.
Grandy, (father-in-law) the one who birthed Mosley Manufacturing and Machine Works, at seventy two years old has no problem keeping the same hours as the crew. Sometimes more...there are many times that the hubs will go into work early...say at 5:30 a.m...and Grandy will already be there hard at work.
They all have a good work ethic.
Our customers will tell you that.
I have said for years that they are the best at what they do.
The hubs will always shush me when I make that statement..but I know with all my being that it is true.
And I recently received backup for that statement.
A few weeks ago a company in the northeast called and asked if we could do a job for them. They actually told the hubs..and I quote.."We heard you are the best there is at what you do"
To which I said.."NaaNaaNaNaaNaa...told you so!!!"
He just smiled and shushed me again.
The hubs has a saying about their crew which is "We get more done in a day, than most get done in a week."
And he is not exaggerating.
Case in point; They worked a full day today.
Right after work they left for a job in Louisiana.
(My mom doesn't understand why they are not able to go see our family while they are there.)
Here is why that is not possible;
Upon arrival to LA, and after approximately two hours of sleep (maybe in the truck, maybe a hotel) they will go straight to a shipyard and unload their equipment.
They will then begin working on the broken part....and will not stop until finished. Even if that means working around the clock.
They will finish that job in a couple of days. Three days at most.
Immediately after loading their equipment, they will head back to MM&M.
Any other company may take up to two weeks or more to do that job, and will not do it to the precision and perfection of MM&M.
That is what the hubs means when he says "We do more in a day than most do in a week" and a big reason they are "THE VERY BEST AT WHAT THEY DO"..
like I said, I'm just backin' it up :)
As I explain to you how hard/fast they work I must also confess something.
It is not only the work ethic in these guys that has them working around the clock on these out of town jobs.
The hubs has always said to me that he works as hard and as fast as possible to get back home to his family as soon as possible :) :) :)
And, of course, that comment has always gotten him lots of lovin' when he returns home ;)
And after he returns here, he will mow three acres, put in the screening for our porch and move another child into yet another apartment.
It.Never.Ends
After reading all of this, I bet you think the same thing that I do ....why can't people like this run our country?
Just think of the progress that would occur in just a few days!!
I can just imagine the playground at the White House being replaced by a motocross track...the Oval Office transformed into the Music Room...Music Man starting our day off with a big drum solo...everyone saving gas by riding bicycles, scooters and super bikes to and from work...all debt, unemployment and waste is banished...me serving pimento cheese sandwiches at State Dinners...and of course, Budd as First Dog..... ;)
Y'all have a great weekend!!
Present Over Perfect: an excerpt :)
10 years ago









No comments:
Post a Comment